A widespread condition involving recurrent abdominal pain and diarrhea or constipation, often associated with stress, depression, anxiety, or previous intestinal infection.
- ‘Stress can worsen symptoms of conditions such as peptic ulcer, irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis.’
- ‘Similarly, do many of the patients thought to have irritable bowel syndrome actually have celiac disease?’
- ‘These tests will help exclude any other causes of your symptoms such as food poisoning or irritable bowel syndrome.’
- ‘Sometimes, gas indicates a digestive disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome or celiac disease.’
- ‘The irritable bowel syndrome is characterized by abdominal pain, altered bowel habits and various other digestive symptoms.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.