Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Incapable of being removed.‘the irremovable taint of corruption’
secure, secured, stable, steady, strong, sturdy, fixed, fast, set, taut, established, tightView synonyms
- ‘He has been irremovable from the charts ever since and released his latest album last year.’
- ‘The media may not be clairvoyant, but their foreknowledge of all things electoral seems to be an entirely natural, irremovable part of the electoral exercise.’
- ‘Untreated soiled spots can become irremovable stains.’
- ‘All of a sudden, with incredible speed, the fog we used to take as something virtually irremovable dispersed.’
- ‘Using its spines to grip objects firmly it lodges itself between tree roots and cracks in rocks, literally irremovable.’
- 1.1 (of an official) unable to be displaced from office.
steadfast, resolute, staunch, firm, constant, decided, determined, fixed, ingrained, unswerving, unwavering, unvacillating, unfaltering, unflinchingView synonyms
- ‘David Hockney is outspoken, privileged by his irremovable status, in his distaste for an officialdom of art.’
- ‘Doubtless, its four military members are not irremovable in law, but like the two civilian members they enjoy the independence inherent in the Convention's notion of a ‘court’.’
- ‘Reform was further hampered by the reactionary commander-in-chief from 1856 to 1895: the Duke of Cambridge who, as the queen's cousin, was held to be irremovable.’
- ‘Today, as an unelected Brussels official, he is unaccountable and irremovable.’
- ‘The justice of the peace, like the jury, like irremovable judges, like the Bar, was resented by those who regarded justice as something dispensed by rulers rather than something administered by society for the benefit of society.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.