Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The flux of radiant energy per unit area (normal to the direction of flow of radiant energy through a medium)
- ‘In the preillumination experiments the cells were exposed to lights of different irradiance, dose and direction.’
- ‘When imaging large areas, this requirement for a high photon irradiance presents a significant technical challenge.’
- ‘Although the solar simulator provides a higher spectral irradiance throughout the UV, its spectrum differs from natural sunlight.’
- ‘We computed the ratio of direct to total horizontal irradiance as a function of SZA and column ozone amount.’
- ‘Consider the task of measuring the spectral content of output irradiance from a solar simulator.’
2literary The fact of shining brightly.light, shining, brightness, brilliance, luminosity, radiation, beams, rays, illumination, blaze, glow, luminousness, gleam, lustre, glitter, sparkle, flash, dazzle, shimmer, glareView synonyms
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.