One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The flux of radiant energy per unit area (normal to the direction of flow of radiant energy through a medium).
radiance, light, brightness, luminosity, shine, gleam, glimmer, incandescence, phosphorescence, luminescenceView synonyms
- ‘In the preillumination experiments the cells were exposed to lights of different irradiance, dose and direction.’
- ‘Consider the task of measuring the spectral content of output irradiance from a solar simulator.’
- ‘Although the solar simulator provides a higher spectral irradiance throughout the UV, its spectrum differs from natural sunlight.’
- ‘We computed the ratio of direct to total horizontal irradiance as a function of SZA and column ozone amount.’
- ‘When imaging large areas, this requirement for a high photon irradiance presents a significant technical challenge.’
2literary The fact of shining brightly.light, shining, brightness, brilliance, luminosity, radiation, beams, rays, illumination, blaze, glow, luminousness, gleam, lustre, glitter, sparkle, flash, dazzle, shimmer, glareView synonyms
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.