Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The flux of radiant energy per unit area (normal to the direction of flow of radiant energy through a medium)
- ‘Although the solar simulator provides a higher spectral irradiance throughout the UV, its spectrum differs from natural sunlight.’
- ‘When imaging large areas, this requirement for a high photon irradiance presents a significant technical challenge.’
- ‘In the preillumination experiments the cells were exposed to lights of different irradiance, dose and direction.’
- ‘We computed the ratio of direct to total horizontal irradiance as a function of SZA and column ozone amount.’
- ‘Consider the task of measuring the spectral content of output irradiance from a solar simulator.’
2literary The fact of shining brightly.light, shining, brightness, brilliance, luminosity, radiation, beams, rays, illumination, blaze, glow, luminousness, gleam, lustre, glitter, sparkle, flash, dazzle, shimmer, glareView synonyms
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.