1Any of a number of trees that produce very hard timber, in particular.Related hornbeam
- ‘Later we tour his plantation, through virgin forest of soaring ironwood and banyan trees and rustly arcades of cardamom leaves, with clusters of young green pods at the base.’
- ‘Foothill palo verde and ironwood - two small trees in the legume family - almost always dominate the dry streambeds.’
- ‘The three dominant tree species of the forest canopy are sugar maple, ironwood, and white ash.’
- ‘The ironwood's branches are thick with growth.’
- ‘Sugar maples commonly share the forest with ironwood, beech, basswood, white ash, black cherry, yellow birch, white pine, and red oak.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.