One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of trees that produce very hard timber.
- ‘Foothill palo verde and ironwood - two small trees in the legume family - almost always dominate the dry streambeds.’
- ‘Sugar maples commonly share the forest with ironwood, beech, basswood, white ash, black cherry, yellow birch, white pine, and red oak.’
- ‘The ironwood's branches are thick with growth.’
- ‘Later we tour his plantation, through virgin forest of soaring ironwood and banyan trees and rustly arcades of cardamom leaves, with clusters of young green pods at the base.’
- ‘The three dominant tree species of the forest canopy are sugar maple, ironwood, and white ash.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.