One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A steam locomotive.
- ‘But as the romance of steam shows, the symbolic power of the iron horse remains to this day as an emblem of a bygone masculine world.’
- ‘The West was really won not by blue-coated cavalrymen, but thanks to iron horses funded in the east by speculators.’
- ‘More than one iron horse came to a sudden and explosive end because its crew were sinking pints nearby, forgetting all about the rising pressure gauge and the screwed-down safety valves.’
- ‘The railroad in America was sometimes called the iron horse, but in Russia (as in America) it was a wood-based system.’
- ‘They will be traveling by iron horse, sending a message to the many tribes that they are not stuffy, wealthy, and aristocratic New Englanders.’
- ‘No longer are the great iron horses seen pounding their way along the coast.’
- 1.1Iron Horsesee Gehrig, Lou
iron horse/ˈˌī(ə)rn ˈhôrs/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.