Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Able to be fixed to the surface of a fabric by ironing.‘T-shirts with iron-on transfers’
- ‘They formed a ring around the record player and stood guard while one of them, a tall, lanky boy bearing a Saturday Night Fever iron-on on his t-shirt, spun record after record.’
- ‘He was wearing an iron-on logo t-shirt that had once been black, but was now grey.’
- ‘For iron-on transfers, the fabric must be able to withstand 350° to 375° heat.’
- ‘Sew lengths of fabric or use iron-on hem tape to make finished strips that are 2 inches wide and 12 inches long.’
- ‘The iron-on tape will let me use heat to stick the fabric to it, but what about the back, where the fabric would probably be two layers?’
- ‘For small holes, apply iron-on interfacing to the back before laundering.’
- ‘For do-it-yourselfers, the fun is in creating their own Christmas duds with fabric paints, glitter, pearls, sequins and iron-on transfers.’
- ‘We all bought purple T-shirts together and used Mrs. McKinlay's extensive supplies of iron-on letters and fabric paints to put our last names on the back.’
- ‘I did the whole vacation bible school thing with the kid, and I have the nifty arts, crafts, and iron-on t-shirt to prove it.’
- ‘‘The shirts have a new design and instead of clip-on badges, officials will have iron-on badges for their uniforms,’ he said.’
- ‘Assorted paint sets are available with projects or iron-on transfers.’
- ‘Please follow the manufacturer's directions for your iron-on interfacing.’
- ‘Or, at least, a place where Maoloni can wear his faded iron-on t-shirt without irony.’
- ‘Hand-tack embellishments, such as buttons, charms or iron-on appliqués, to individualize the coasters.’
- ‘Create iron-on t-shirt designs and other fabric heat transfers with these tips, templates, and software.’
- ‘But they were all wearing red, white and blue shirts that had iron-on decals that said 1976 in a real groovy font.’
- ‘You can customize a tee, hoodie, or jogging pants with cute, fuzzy iron-on bunnies, birds, cowboys, or lettering.’
- ‘Use fabric paint or iron-on transfers for your inkjet printer to create an apron that is just Mom's style.’
- ‘Back a piece of 100% cotton with a sturdy iron-on interfacing.’
- ‘I have obtained advice about using iron-on interfacing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.