One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But the artists and musicians, poets and students and philosophers of the old town proved irksomely irrepressible.’
- ‘Dickson's vocals are either irksomely whiny or in a growl better suited to a fifth-wave jam band than these tight pop melodies.’
- ‘Most of the conspirators were young officers, for whom promotion was irksomely slow and who had been reading German Romantic writers to ease their boredom.’
- ‘In a couple of pieces of miscasting, Aaron Alexander plays Tybalt in such an irksomely casual manner as to make the character wholly unremarkable.’
- ‘It's little surprise she's sold 25m records worldwide: her songwriting is consistently brilliant and her voice almost irksomely angelic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.