One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly in Jamaican English) nice, good, or pleasing (used as a general term of approval)‘the place is jumping with irie vibes’‘I'm feeling irie’
enjoyable, pleasant, pleasurable, agreeable, delightful, satisfying, gratifying, acceptable, to one's liking, entertaining, amusing, diverting, marvellous, goodView synonyms
- ‘A couple of Red Stripe Beers helped to make the vibes more irie.’
- ‘Right now, I'm feeling irie as the liquor is doing its trick.’
- ‘The evening wear segment was irie, with some beautifully-crafted evening gowns on display.’
- ‘Anyway, I gave them bills, which they gladly accepted and the food was irie.’
- ‘It has been a pretty good long weekend with a fair amount of irie vibes and lots of camaraderie and alcohol.’
Used by Rastafarians as a friendly greeting.
- ‘Took the ham outta the oven and tasted the first slice…irie!’
1970s: perhaps representing a pronunciation of all right.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.