One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in alternative medicine) diagnosis by examination of the iris of the eye.
- ‘When I leafed through one, I noticed it was plugging alternative medicine: homeopathy, herbalism, iridology, and acupuncture.’
- ‘Articles on feng shui, crystal therapy, iridology, colonic irrigation, herbalism and faith healing sweep the media every week.’
- ‘Knowledgeable in herbology and iridology, Dianna is a certified and licensed craniosacral therapist and massage therapist.’
- ‘Homeopathy, iridology, reflexology, aromatherapy, therapeutic touch, etc. will not change in any fundamental ways over the years.’
- ‘By using both iridology and live blood analysis together the naturopath can get a clear picture of the body's inner health.’
- ‘The classes may include a basic science class or two, assessment techniques such as kinesiology and iridology, and several introductory classes to natural therapeutics such as herbs, homeopathy, and acupressure.’
- ‘Born in India, he trained as a doctor in Delhi and Moscow, before branching out into Ayurveda, homeopathy, hypnosis, iridology and fasting therapy.’
- ‘Balham Therapy Rooms, based in Balham High Road, offers a range of therapies, including acupuncture, iridology, reiki and homeopathy.’
- ‘The Health Minister is in discussions with the funds about whether it was suitable for them to continue to offer services such as iridology and homeopathy.’
- ‘The fact is that the proportion of the community involved in more way-out therapies like magnetism or iridology, is pretty small.’
- ‘As iridology maps the body with irises, reflexology maps the body with the feet, the right foot corresponding to the right side of the body and the left foot corresponding to the left side of the body.’
- ‘The institute's literature does not mention homeopathy, reflexology, iridology, urine therapy, magnet therapy, and other extreme forms of alternative healing.’
- ‘As a student and protégé of the beloved Dr. Christopher, I began my career as an herbalist using iridology as the sole diagnostic method.’
- ‘Regulations should be enacted against other false claims - such as quack cancer cures, crash diets, Chelation therapy, iridology, therapeutic touch, and magnetic therapy.’
- ‘His first study was in iridology, diagnosis by examining the iris of the eye, where he tested five iridologists on whether they could diagnose gallstones as easily as they claimed.’
- ‘One of the problems certainly from a consumer point of view that we have is that we have a 30% Private Health Insurance rebate on luxury items such as gym shoes, gym membership, and iridology.’
- ‘Only 12% were dissatisfied with the therapy, and essentially the only therapy which got a negative rating was iridology.’
- ‘Courses are offered in iridology, colonic cleansing, and color therapy support group meets every Thursday.’
- ‘I'm sensitive, but I'm not a psychic, nor do I ever aspire to be, and I don't believe in things like iridology, or most of the other ologies.’
- ‘They were able to validate iridology by finding many correlations that in fact were not established as causal relationships by rigorously defined controlled studies.’
Early 20th century: from Greek iris, irid- ‘iris’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.