One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A full point scored in judo, karate, and other martial sports.
- ‘Penalties play a major part in judo, and contestants are punished in different ways, ranging from a koka for small offences to an ippon for the most serious.’
- ‘In November 1954, in Mannheim, Germany, Hirano scored all ippons in 34 minutes against 54 black belt opponents.’
- ‘It took 12 minutes 57 seconds for Kimura to score 6 ippons in this championship.’
- ‘In 1925, the Butokukai ruled that once an opponent was lifted up to the shoulder level, an ippon should be called.’
- ‘In Judo competition the objective is to score an ippon (one full point).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.