One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the US state of Iowa or its inhabitants.‘the sleepy Iowan town’
- ‘He has created his own Iowan landscape out of living plants.’
- ‘And when it comes to decision time, I want Iowan votes.’
- ‘Unassuming and accessible and quite Iowan in her ways, she had never planned to be in politics.’
- ‘Second, the caucuses may well not even measure Iowan opinion.’
- ‘I know eating all that pig isn't politically correct, but God, is it good - and totally Iowan.’
- ‘We're Californians partnering with native Iowan farmers and businesspeople.’
A native or inhabitant of the US state of Iowa.‘the captain was an Iowan’
- ‘At every rest stop along the route, cheering Iowans lined the streets, handing out bottles of water to the riders.’
- ‘In 1908 he held the record for length of service by an Iowan in Congress.’
- ‘The Iowan felt a responsibility to see what he could do for the child.’
- ‘A native Iowan, he is a graduate of Iowa State University.’
- ‘This summit will give Iowans a stronger hand in shaping our national policy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.