A technique of introducing ionic medicinal compounds into the body through the skin by applying a local electric current.
- ‘A process called iontophoresis applies electricity to the affected area.’
- ‘Magnetic insoles have no demonstrated benefit, nor does therapeutic ultrasonography, laser therapy, iontophoresis, or electron-generating devices.’
- ‘Other delivery vehicles for topical anesthesia currently in development, including iontophoresis and anesthetic patches, may one day give patients and physicians even more flexibility.’
- ‘During sweat stimulation, a variety of chemicals are used at the negative electrode to complete the circuit during iontophoresis.’
- ‘If symptoms are not relieved, physical therapy that includes ultrasonography, massage, and iontophoresis should be considered.’
Early 20th century: from ion, on the pattern of electrophoresis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.