One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device which produces ionization, especially one used to improve the quality of the air in a room.
- ‘During operation of the electrical ionizer, the output voltage value of the ion balance sensor is compared with the set point voltage value.’
- ‘The software allows for complete head control with mass scale tuning, sensitivity calibration, and ionizer setup.’
- ‘Bailey W. Mitchell, an agricultural engineer, developed the ionizer system, in cooperation with veterinarian Henry D. Stone.’
- ‘During the second half of the trial, the ionisers were switched on, with impressive results which led to a dramatic fall in certain types of infection.’
- ‘Many of the harm reduction strategies used by the parents, such as opening windows when smoking and using fans and ionisers, were ineffective.’
- ‘An ioniser works by circulating air and trapping airborne particulates such as diesel exhaust fumes, tobacco smoke and dust on an electrostatically charged ring.’
- ‘These were alpha particles, which were powerful ionizers but easily absorbed, and beta particles, which were less effective but far more penetrating.’
- ‘The third electrode may also be used to switch the mode of operation of the discharge source from a gas phase ionizer to an electrospray ionizer.’
- ‘Some personal ionizers run on batteries and hang around your neck.’
- ‘But ionizers don't work any better than high-efficiency particulate air filters or electrostatic filters in removing allergens from the air.’
- ‘The ionizer for the main reactor was torn to shreds.’
- ‘In some cases, the ionizers were used in combination with portable air filters, instead of the botanical extract.’
- ‘A special brush is supplied with the monitor to clean the ionizer as its gets dusty with use.’
- ‘This system helps to prolong the life of the ionizer.’
- ‘The cylindrical, polished glass cuvette (outer diameter of 10 mm) was run under an ionizer to minimize unwanted light scatter and static charge before each experiment.’
- ‘The family never suffers from hay fever or allergies because ionisers monitor online pollen reports and keep the air dust-free.’
- ‘According to the company's president, the bulb uses no toxic chemicals, is more cost-effective than HEPA filters and air ionizers, which only trap airborne particles.’
- ‘The unit also contains an revolutionary infrared filter which is seen as the biggest advance in the construction of electronic water ionizers in years.’
- ‘And I won't venture a guess as to how many customers will be as thrilled about the integrated air ionizer as to prefer this model to others…’
- ‘The supercharged ionizer / dust collection system appears able to do the job.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.