Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device that produces ionization, especially one used to improve the quality of the air in a room.
- ‘A special brush is supplied with the monitor to clean the ionizer as its gets dusty with use.’
- ‘The software allows for complete head control with mass scale tuning, sensitivity calibration, and ionizer setup.’
- ‘During the second half of the trial, the ionisers were switched on, with impressive results which led to a dramatic fall in certain types of infection.’
- ‘The third electrode may also be used to switch the mode of operation of the discharge source from a gas phase ionizer to an electrospray ionizer.’
- ‘The cylindrical, polished glass cuvette (outer diameter of 10 mm) was run under an ionizer to minimize unwanted light scatter and static charge before each experiment.’
- ‘During operation of the electrical ionizer, the output voltage value of the ion balance sensor is compared with the set point voltage value.’
- ‘An ioniser works by circulating air and trapping airborne particulates such as diesel exhaust fumes, tobacco smoke and dust on an electrostatically charged ring.’
- ‘According to the company's president, the bulb uses no toxic chemicals, is more cost-effective than HEPA filters and air ionizers, which only trap airborne particles.’
- ‘Many of the harm reduction strategies used by the parents, such as opening windows when smoking and using fans and ionisers, were ineffective.’
- ‘The unit also contains an revolutionary infrared filter which is seen as the biggest advance in the construction of electronic water ionizers in years.’
- ‘Bailey W. Mitchell, an agricultural engineer, developed the ionizer system, in cooperation with veterinarian Henry D. Stone.’
- ‘But ionizers don't work any better than high-efficiency particulate air filters or electrostatic filters in removing allergens from the air.’
- ‘The family never suffers from hay fever or allergies because ionisers monitor online pollen reports and keep the air dust-free.’
- ‘Some personal ionizers run on batteries and hang around your neck.’
- ‘The supercharged ionizer / dust collection system appears able to do the job.’
- ‘The ionizer for the main reactor was torn to shreds.’
- ‘And I won't venture a guess as to how many customers will be as thrilled about the integrated air ionizer as to prefer this model to others…’
- ‘These were alpha particles, which were powerful ionizers but easily absorbed, and beta particles, which were less effective but far more penetrating.’
- ‘In some cases, the ionizers were used in combination with portable air filters, instead of the botanical extract.’
- ‘This system helps to prolong the life of the ionizer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.