One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The exchange of ions of the same charge between an insoluble solid and a solution in contact with it, used in water-softening and other purification and separation processes.
- ‘A process called ion exchange exists whereby ions in solution are exchanged for ions that are bound on the surface of a resin.’
- ‘Blood vessel dilation is due to blockage of calcium channels in smooth muscle cells or inhibition of sodium-calcium ion exchange.’
- ‘Nitrate can be removed from drinking water by three methods: distillation, reverse osmosis and ion exchange.’
- ‘Tertiary treatment is a combination of treatments or advanced methods such as distillation, ion exchange, reverse osmosis, and the like.’
- ‘Solutions passed through a filter bed of zeolite minerals undergo ion exchange as particular ions or molecules become trapped within the crystal lattice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.