Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of disinfectants containing iodine in combination with a surfactant.
- ‘This reflects changes in food habits, reduction of iodised salt intake, changes in food technology, phasing out of iodophors s disinfectants in milk.’
- ‘The surgeons standardized their surgical skin prep to the one-step iodophor / alcohol water insoluble film method without the iodine impregnated incise drape.’
- ‘They found this procedure to be as effective in reducing bacterial growth on the hands as a standard two-brush method using an iodophor.’
- ‘The physical action of washing hands under such circumstances is recommended because alcohols, chlorhexidine, iodophors, and other antiseptic agents have poor activity against spores.’
- ‘The antimicrobial effect of iodophors occurs by cell wall penetration and oxidation with the substitution of iodine for cell contents.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.