One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bank that purchases large holdings of newly issued shares and resells them to investors.
- ‘Increased competition does not make selecting a global investment bank any easier.’
- ‘An investment bank's ranking is based on a total of debt, equity and municipal bond transactions.’
- ‘One of my brightest - and wealthiest - friends is a big hitter in an American investment bank.’
- ‘Merrill Lynch, an investment bank, highlights a number of stocks.’
- ‘For an investment bank expert in venture capital, nothing has been ventured here and nothing gained.’
- ‘It is now up to the partners who no longer work at the investment bank to consider the details.’
- ‘The investment bank wrote off $807 million stemming from the bankruptcy of the company.’
- ‘SWISS-owned investment bank Warburg Dillon Read is set to announce it is establishing a major new operation in Scotland.’
- ‘The investment bank forecasts that British shares could rack up one of their worst annual performances for 100 years.’
- ‘Goldman Sachs, an investment bank, offers covered warrants that allow you to bet on the Halifax house-price index.’
- ‘Solomon Smith Barney, an investment bank, is winding up its New Delhi office.’
- ‘The remaining cash will go to the American investment bank Goldman Sachs, which has a small stake in Eircom.’
- ‘By the time he was 30, he had moved to Canada and was a partner in Yorkton Securities, a small investment bank in Canada.’
- ‘Part of the problem downtown is that many of the buildings unaffected do not fit the requirements of a modern investment bank.’
- ‘The investment bank also benefits from the additional fees it earns for stabilising the stock.’
- ‘A bid from an investment bank is seen as a possibility.’
- ‘If a manager thinks a stock might fall in value, he can borrow shares from an investment bank and sell them.’
- ‘He was a retired journalist who had been posted to London in the Seventies as information officer for a Yugoslav investment bank.’
- ‘The German investment bank WestLB is also reported to be interested.’
- ‘Swiss investment bank Vontobel came out against the deal, saying it made little strategic sense.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.