One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An apparatus which converts direct current into alternating current.
- ‘Our idea is to take the output through the inverter to a storage battery and out to a pair of hub motors.’
- ‘Drive control apparatus for an air conditioner having a modular inverter and a control circuit mounted on a common substrate’
- ‘A controller keeps the batteries from being overcharged, and an inverter converts DC electricity produced by the solar panels into AC electricity typically used by home appliances.’
- ‘The inverter converts the direct current produced by the solar panels into AC power that can be used in the home or fed back into a utility power grid system.’
- ‘Simply connect the inverter to an available molex connector, and then connect both cold cathode tubes to the inverter on the opposing side.’
- ‘Intersil's ICL828 switched-capacitor voltage inverters address the need for higher power efficiency and lower operating current in battery powered, hand-held integrated comms products.’
- ‘An electronic inverter converts the direct-current power from the solar panel to usable house current.’
- ‘The new transistor can be used as a low-loss power switching device in applications like inverters for home electric appliances, hybrid cars and switching power supplies.’
- ‘The modifications included AC (alternating current) power inverters, on-board compressors, special machinegun mounts, and missile and smoke grenade launcher systems.’
- ‘At present, the car's power control unit, inverter, motor-generator and a handful of other key components are made only in Japan.’
- ‘These involve such requirements as extracting hydrogen from other sources, catalysts for faster reaction times, and inverters for transforming direct to alternating current.’
- ‘This will provide a constant source of ‘clean power’ by means of an inverter, the device will also provide through its battery a limited amount of power after the power source has ceased.’
- ‘This transformed 120 volts of power is stored in 60 two-volt batteries, which, through a computerised inverter, enable solar electric power to be available steadily all through, even during winter.’
- ‘The inverter changes the solar direct current into the alternating current used by most household appliances.’
- ‘An integral inverter changes the direct current to alternating current for transmission into the facility's electrical distribution systems.’
- ‘The cold cathode accessories each have an inverter, which converts power to the correct voltage and current suitable for the cathode.’
- ‘The Dynacharger is a fully integrated system utilizing a bi-directional power inverter.’
- ‘An active backup power supply with PFC and power output regulation comprises a power factor correction circuit, a backup battery, an inverter and a control circuit.’
- ‘Another problem stems from the use of an inverter that supplies alternating current in square waves, rather than the rounded, sine waves produced by conventional generating equipment.’
- ‘Lieber, Ham and colleagues used their technique to produce nanowire-based logical inverters and ring oscillators, which are inverters in series.’
A device that converts either of the two binary digits or signals into the other.
- ‘Current controller for controlling a current flowing in a load using a PWM inverter and method used thereby’
- ‘The inverters supplied with the Vantec tubes support two devices, so we plugged both the long tubes into that.’
- ‘I bought a couple of inverters, slim metal discs that sit on the data ports and change true signals to false, and false signals to true.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.