Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being inventive; creativity.‘the inventiveness of the staging’‘his comic inventiveness’
creativity, originality, innovation, invention, imagination, imaginativeness, creative power, creative talent, creative gift, fertility, ingeniousness, resourcefulness, enterpriseoriginality, innovation, unusualness, freshness, novelty, newness, break with traditionView synonyms
- ‘Today, his comedies are remembered for their level of artistry, inventiveness and trenchant sarcasm.’
- ‘It is done with all the skill and inventiveness of artists on the New York subway, but this is not turf warfare-this is street politics.’
- ‘This is what inventiveness and creativeness mean: with limited means creating rich and excellent ends.’
- ‘Alliances with other individuals expose our talents and creative inventiveness.’
- ‘She remarked on the imagination, inventiveness and creative power of Corina's work.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.