Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action or process of being turned inside out or folded back on itself to form a cavity or pouch.
- ‘In the chick embryo, for example, the ectoderm initially expresses L-CAM; during neural plate invagination, however, L-CAM expression is replaced by that of N-cadherin.’
- ‘The initial conditions for the appearance of feathers also probably resides in processes common to all ammonites and include placode formation, invagination, and mesenchymal-epithelial interactions.’
- ‘Catheters with multiple side holes on several planes are less likely to cause invagination of airway mucosa into the catheter than those with single side or end holes.’
- ‘This indicates a level of plasma membrane invagination comparable with mammalian skeletal muscle.’
- ‘Specifically, the ventral invagination and migration of mesodermal precursors in the embryo are severely impaired, as are head involution, dorsal closure, and the migration of gonadal precursors.’
- 1.1 A cavity or pouch so formed.
- ‘The internodes have invaginations that are termed cupules.’
- ‘Intranuclear cytoplasmic invaginations, similar to that seen in non-neoplastic hepatocytes (or in metastatic melanoma) are also frequent.’
- ‘As is typical, many of the latter showed reactive changes, such as large, variably sized nuclei; intranuclear invaginations; and multinucleation.’
- ‘There is a refracting secretion in the space of this invagination presumably protecting the photoreceptor cells.’
- ‘These invaginations represent placental outgrowths and they extend towards the centre, enclosing the central hole into a triangular slit.’
Mid 17th century: from modern Latin invaginatio(n-), based on in- ‘into’ + Latin vagina ‘sheath’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.