Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The Inuit language spoken in the central and eastern Canadian arctic.
- ‘It is ironic, but if we want to develop Inuktitut as a working language we need to be highly literate in English and possibly French.’
- ‘Central to the realization of an Inuit government is the success of establishing Inuktitut as the working language of the government of Nunavut.’
- ‘The Inuit speak six dialects of a common language, Inuktitut, and are divided into eight main tribal groups.’
- ‘And only 64 per cent of Inuit said that Inuktitut was the main language used at home.’
- ‘For the vast majority of the 600 students at Gammeqarfik, their first language is Greenlandic, a dialect of Inuktitut.’
- ‘The whites and the Inuit will ‘work hand in hand to build a better territory for everybody’ while his children will learn to speak English and Inuktitut.’
- ‘Besides being fluent in French, Cunningham also reads, writes and speaks Inuktitut, which he's studied since moving to Pangnirtung more than a decade ago.’
- ‘Is there not a social and political willingness to know and teach about Inuktitut and Inuit culture in a land where 85 per cent of the population are Inuit?’
- ‘Inuit children grow up bilingual in Inuktitut and French or English.’
- ‘Signs are written both in English and Inuktitut, the Inuit language.’
- ‘The story about Inuit (or Inuktitut, or Yup'ik, or more generally, Eskimo) words for snow is completely wrong.’
- ‘I can think of more than a handful of Inuit who would not fear to be politically incorrect if the occasion called for it in conversing with Inuit of influence in Inuktitut.’
- ‘Piugattuk speaks Inuktitut and has traditional Inuit skills that would have been difficult to fake on film.’
- ‘Learned about Inuktitut (the language spoken by the Inuit) and learned some small phrases.’
- ‘Manirajak fought to have Inuktitut and Cree languages broadcast.’
- ‘This new information is posing something of a problem for the Inuit language, Inuktitut.’
- ‘In doing so, it would establish Inuinnaqtun as a distinct language from Inuktitut, rather than a dialect, as Aariak has recommended.’
- ‘Her linguistic skills were so good she listed Inuktitut as her second language when applying to McGill University in 1967.’
- ‘It was followed by Dene, Inuktitut, Slavey, Dogrib and Ojibway translations.’
- ‘There are two sources of native borrowing: the Canadian Indian languages such as Cree, Dene, and Ojibwa, and Inuktitut, the language of the Inuit or Eskimo.’
Inuit, literally the Inuk way used as the title of a periodical.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.