Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The examination or observation of one's own mental and emotional processes.‘quiet introspection can be extremely valuable’
brooding, self-analysis, soul-searching, heart-searching, introversion, self-observation, self-absorptioncontemplation, thoughtfulness, pensiveness, thought, thinking, musing, rumination, meditation, pondering, reflection, cogitationnavel-gazingView synonyms
- ‘The transitoriness of life, introspection and spiritual pursuits, are his eternal themes.’
- ‘Then red is replaced by green, introspection by attention, and we pull off.’
- ‘Both sang with a great deal of quiet, agonising introspection.’
- ‘Wendy nodded her acknowledgement and continued her silent introspection at the table.’
- ‘I treat life as a dance if I can; an interplay between quiet introspection and head on participation.’
- ‘I tried to write it in a way that showed that it brought about a spot of introspection and self-analysis on my part.’
- ‘But I also know that such behaviour can lead to self-obsession and undue introspection.’
- ‘Working at the last minute involves a bit of introspection coupled with strict scheduling.’
- ‘There are passages of quiet contemplation and introspection that belie any sense of terror.’
- ‘It is here that meditation leads to introspection, foundation for humane thinking.’
- ‘A certain amount of seclusion for contemplation and introspection might be beneficial.’
- ‘The play of light through the space has overtones of spirituality and introspection.’
- ‘In a way, it actually sets the stage for her thoughtful introspection that follows throughout the rest of the album.’
- ‘I enjoy brisk walks, and try to use the time for creative introspection and meditation.’
- ‘From the internal viewpoint of introspection, mental reality is composed of sensations and images.’
- ‘Establish a comfort zone with the child before you ask for quiet observation or introspection.’
- ‘They hate their own company and find introspection morbid and depressing.’
- ‘The problem is that men tend to heal in private, through introspection and quiet thinking.’
- ‘Consider introspection, one's awareness of one's own conscious states.’
- ‘All this promotes attention, and makes introspection difficult, which is rather the point.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.