One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The male copulatory organ of an animal.
- ‘However, in about half of the poeciliids, males do not display, females never cooperate during copulation and all matings are achieved by thrusting the intromittent organ toward the genital pore of apparently unaware females.’
- ‘Unlike most bird species, drakes possess a penis-like intromittent organ, which allows males to deposit the ejaculate deep inside the female's reproductive tract.’
- ‘Males in the live-bearing species have intromittent organs.’
- ‘This may be facilitated by the possession of an intromittent organ by males, an extremely unusual feature in birds, occurring in only 3% of all species.’
- ‘Each male possesses two intromittent organs, one on either side of the body, only one of which is everted during a single copulation.’
Mid 19th century: intromittent from Latin intromittent- ‘introducing’, from the verb intromittere, from intro- ‘to the inside’ + mittere ‘send’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.