One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually treated as singular The symbiotic bacteria occurring naturally in the intestine.
- ‘The use of various probiotic bacteria to promote a balance of appropriate intestinal flora has yielded mixed results.’
- ‘Side effects include ‘fragrant’ breath, rare instances of GI symptoms, changes to intestinal flora, and allergic reactions.’
- ‘Antibiotic use leads to unbalanced intestinal flora that contributes to leaky bowel syndrome. Probiotics may restore pH and gut flora to a healthier environment.’
- ‘The Candida population found in a healthy intestinal tract is small; it is held in check by the intestinal flora and fauna, as well as a healthy immune system.’
- ‘The importance of restoring normal intestinal flora cannot be over-emphasized.’
- ‘Regarding the spectrum of activity, an antimicrobial agent active against both gram-positive and negative organisms will have a greater impact on the intestinal flora.’
- ‘Enzymes also stimulate immune activity and bolster immune system function by promoting growth of healthy intestinal flora.’
- ‘Folklore aside, yogurt has been found to aid digestion and rebalance intestinal flora.’
- ‘Taking probiotics while taking antibiotics can help keep your intestinal flora in balance and prevent antibiotic side effects like diarrhea.’
- ‘Antibiotics, which zap your intestinal flora (thus giving house room to opportunistic yeast cells), are the usual culprits, but there are others.’
- ‘It turns out that colonization by normal intestinal flora is vital - zebrafish and their bacteria have become evolutionarily entangled.’
- ‘Molds and fungi modify the human body's internal environment, leading to great disturbance of intestinal flora, digestion, immune function, and hormonal balance.’
- ‘Corticosteroids and oral contraceptives also upset the balance of intestinal flora.’
- ‘Another possible scenario that could disrupt the feedback mechanism is the inhibition of peripheral thyroid hormone receptors by various environmental toxins, metabolites, or byproducts of intestinal flora.’
- ‘I also recommend taking acidophilus in the form of yogurt or capsules to restore your good intestinal flora and inhibit yeast in the intestine.’
- ‘The composition of intestinal flora may significantly affect production of such compounds.’
- ‘This makes your large intestine more alkaline - and therefore more inviting - for yeast: In addition to antibiotics, some of the other factors that can affect your intestinal flora are chlorinated water, antacids and cortisone.’
- ‘Needless to say, this was worth further investigation - particularly since until last week I thought biodynamics was one of those yoghurt drinks that perk up your intestinal flora.’
- ‘Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that modify the intestinal flora.’
- ‘Antibiotics, for instance, do improve acne conditions, but they also interfere with the balance of healthy intestinal flora, making the problem cyclic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.