One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[with object]usually as adjective interwound
Wind together.‘a transformer consists of two interwound coils’
entwine, interweave, interlace, interthread, intertwist, twist, coil, twirl, ravel, lace, braid, plait, knitView synonyms
- ‘It was found that an interwound configuration describes the data well, provided interactions among supercoils are accounted for in the second virial approximation.’
- ‘The two monomers are interwound, forming a lobster-like structure with two flexible arms consisting of two antiparallel-ribbons.’
- ‘The two HC, a-helical domains are helically interwound, giving the molecules a long, rigid superhelical structure with 2 globular headpieces.’
- ‘Surprisingly, the soft denatured region is most often found in positions where the interwound superhelix forms branches, unlike permanently curved regions, which tend to localize in the apex of the superhelix.’
- ‘The inverted conformation is now a positive trefoil, and two different catenanes result from the reaction-a negatively single-linked catenane or a catenane formed by double helical interwinding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.