One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Existing in the period between two wars, especially the two world wars (i.e. between 1918 and 1939).
- ‘The murder at Marseilles was one of the most appalling events of the interwar period.’
- ‘As none other, he could evoke Japan of the eventful interwar period.’
- ‘Given the context of Europe in the interwar period, these are words that should be handled with the greatest caution.’
- ‘The local Jewish populations, already in decline during the interwar period of independence, had been decimated.’
- ‘As noted already, the past 15 years comprised principally a postwar, or interwar, period.’
- ‘Simon Wiesenthal was born in Galicia, Ukraine, in 1908, an area which became part of Poland during the interwar years.’
- ‘During the First World War and the interwar years, however, growth slowed.’
- ‘In part because of America's absence, the fledgling organization recorded few achievements in the interwar period.’
- ‘Services were disrupted during World War I and the interwar period witnessed few new developments except for the introduction of diesel motorships.’
- ‘Decision-makers and public opinion in the interwar period yearned for stability and an end to war-induced disruption.’
- ‘The period covering the two world wars and the interwar Great Depression was one of falling FDI.’
- ‘The same was true of various attempts made by the League of Nations during the interwar period to achieve world disarmament.’
- ‘Old-style fascism of the interwar period is unlikely to reemerge.’
- ‘Life in the neglected U.S. Army of the interwar years is often portrayed as routine, dull, and unchallenging.’
- ‘Indeed, even in the interwar period, when it was thought to be entirely disengaged, it was still a critical factor in international relations.’
- ‘Indeed, the current interwar period is beginning to resemble the interwar period from 1871 to 1914.’
- ‘But exports of manufactured paper products also grew well beyond the levels of the interwar period.’
- ‘The army organized twenty-nine Guard observation squadrons during the interwar period.’
- ‘During the interwar period, the question of the appropriate position of women was subject to national discussion.’
- ‘There was a genuine whiff of the interwar fascist dictatorship of Mussolini.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.