Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or denoting the area of a seashore that is covered at high tide and uncovered at low tide.
- ‘Turtles may hatch from a nest on land in the state of Queensland and scramble down to the sea across intertidal areas that are state managed and controlled.’
- ‘Only tiny phytoplankton are found throughout the area, although intertidal zones in the south contain kelp beds.’
- ‘The intertidal zone is between the high-tide and low-tide lines.’
- ‘While submerged during high tide, an intertidal organism is likely to display a body temperature similar to that of the surrounding water.’
- ‘The coastal intertidal zone is the area between the low and high tide zones that is not quite oceanic and not quite terrestrial.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.