Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Existing or occurring between different species.‘interspecific differences’
- ‘In Drosophila, paternal transmission has been detected in both interspecific and intraspecific crosses.’
- ‘When fed mixed leaves of the four species, the interspecific difference was very significant.’
- ‘In this framework, a number of interspecific and intergeneric hybrids were grown and tested for fertility and fruit quality.’
- ‘Overlap in habitat is a prerequisite for interspecific competition to occur between these species.’
- ‘It also provides the first evidence for an interspecific association between two ectoparasite species.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.