Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Existing or carried on between provinces of the same country.
- ‘Exceptions as noted in the interprovincial, import and export sections may prevail over this requirement.’
- ‘There was a growing flow of passengers too, for most interprovincial travel was still done by sea.’
- ‘Between 1868 and 1888 a number of sites had been suggested for a second interprovincial bridge.’
- ‘The case for Ontario assuming jurisdiction would be stronger if this were an interprovincial case; however, its international nature by no means prohibits Ontario from assuming jurisdiction.’
- ‘There's a feast of exciting interprovincial and international cricket to savour during the 2000-2001 cricket season which starts soon.’
- ‘The driving force is a 1994 federal, provincial and territorial agreement designed to break down interprovincial trade barriers.’
- ‘Really, this was one area that was long overdue and kept Ontario students from keeping on par with their interprovincial counterparts.’
- ‘The percentages have jumped this season, and if they reached the current level a year ago we might well have made the semi-finals of the European Cup and perhaps won the interprovincial championship as well.’
- ‘According to real estate appraisers and real estate sales professionals, the interprovincial difference between the value of a single-family residence may be negligible for those priced under $75,000.’
- ‘Administration would be based on existing interprovincial mechanisms, the report says.’
- ‘The Code does not apply to federal government workers in federally regulated industries such as banking, telecommunications and interprovincial transportation; they are covered by federal safety codes.’
- ‘Until 1972, the interprovincial difference was negligible.’
- ‘Prior to this, we had six game competitions, the interprovincial championship and the European Cup, and there was little room for that to happen.’
- ‘Champions Eastern Province set the ball rolling with an absorbing encounter against Northerns in the A section of the men's interprovincial hockey tournament on Monday.’
- ‘This section outlines some of the interprovincial meetings and activities that involved our ministry.’
- ‘In contrast, interprovincial for-hire trucking is more prevalent in Ontario and the Prairie Provinces.’
- ‘A council could help sort out interprovincial differences and allow provincial input into areas of federal jurisdiction, like trade, in which the provinces have a significant interest.’
- ‘How would this impact on the interprovincial relations, given that private property is provincial jurisdiction.’
- ‘Another observer, writing in the mid-nineteenth century, placed the decline at 8 percent a year, with an additional loss of 2.75 percent due to interprovincial sales southward.’
- ‘Thus, a framework now exists for the full mobility and interprovincial recognition of psychologists.’
1A sports tournament between different provinces of the same country.
- ‘Carlow squash will be very strongly represented at the Junior interprovincials in Galway this weekend with 20 players from the club selected.’
- ‘The Ussasa U18B interprovincial will also be staged in Vereeniging starting on Monday and ends on Thursday.’
- ‘They argue that the interprovincials are nothing more than an expensive waste of time which do nothing to improve overall standards within the game.’
- ‘At the start of last year's Spar hockey interprovincial, Tsoanelo Pholo had just made the national side.’
- ‘Border play their first official interprovincial of the summer when they take on Eastern Province in the Mercedes-Benz Challenge, a limited-overs game, next Saturday at Buffalo Park.’
- ‘The Hogan Cup was first played for in '46 but was not competed for between '49 and '56 when the colleges opted to play interprovincials instead.’
- ‘This will be a special day for the club with the junior interprovincial between Connacht and Leinster being held in Cloondeash.’
- ‘Bennett joins fellow Old Selbornian Reece Basson next week for the interprovincials in Pietermaritzburg.’
- ‘Following excellent performances at the Leinster championships, Carlow LTC junior squash players - numbering 17 will represent Leinster at the interprovincials in Galway on the last weekend of March.’
- ‘Dungarvan Rugby Club's Ground at Ballyrandle looked in splendid shape last Saturday afternoon for the clash of Munster and Ulster in their interprovincial at Junior level.’
- ‘The event is the only major warm-up tournament for the women's team before October's national interprovincials in Napier.’
- ‘Next month an U17 Border team comprising players from all segments of the community will head for Pretoria for the SA Championships and interprovincials.’
- 1.1A member of a team competing in an interprovincial tournament.
- ‘Certainly the introduction of junior interprovincial, back from injury, Bernard Behan early in the second half settled Cill Dara and the out-half caused some problems for the Portlaoise defence.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.