One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Situated between bones.‘the first dorsal interosseous space’
- ‘The sacroiliac ligament is a strong interosseous connection between the sacrum and ilium on the posterior surface.’
- ‘It is innervated by the anterior interosseous branch of the median nerve.’
- ‘It is attached to the cuboid by an interosseous ligament and to the cuboid and navicular bones by the strong bifurcate ligament.’
- ‘The anterior compartment is defined by the tibia, interosseous septum, fibula, and a line of fascia extending from it in an anterolateral direction.’
- ‘It is innervated by the anterior interosseous nerve and may be represented as the tibialis posterior of the leg.’
- 1.1 Of or denoting certain muscles between the bones of the hand and foot.
- ‘The first dorsal interosseous muscle inserts into the extensor expansion.’
- ‘These arteries supply the interosseous muscles and bones and the second, third, and fourth lumbrical muscles.’
- ‘The ulnar nerve also innervates the adductor pollicis and first dorsal interosseous muscles, which allow pinch.’
- ‘The dorsal interosseous muscles are larger than their plantar counterparts, are four in number, and fill the intermetatarsal spaces.’
- ‘The palmer interosseous muscles adduct the fingers toward the axial line or the middle digit, and the dorsal interosseous muscles are abductors of the fingers.’
- 1.2 Of or denoting certain arteries between the bones of the forearm.
- ‘In some cases, the arch is reinforced or completed by a large median artery, arising frequently from the common interosseous, or from an enlarged metacarpal artery.’
- ‘Still more rarely, it gives rise to the interosseous artery or a vas aberrans.’
- ‘It may join the radial artery at the wrist, or if the radial stops short of the carpus the posterior interosseous artery may replace it.’
- ‘These vessels anastomose with the radial recurrent and the interosseous recurrent arteries, respectively.’
- ‘The ulnar artery has been found taking a superficial course when arising in the usual situation, and in these cases also the recurrent and interosseous arteries may be given off by the radial trunk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.