Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Involving two or more different modes of transportation in conveying goods.
- ‘These are roads that provide access between major intermodal facilities and the other four subsystems making up the National Highway System.’
- ‘The story was much different for intermodal containers.’
- ‘Trinity Rail GmbH produces all types of railway freight wagons, including intermodal, and tank wagons.’
- ‘So with the trucking and the intermodal business, we feel that the company is well on its way to a very, very rapid growth span.’
- ‘When work on the facility is completed in 1 1/2 years, the depot will be an intermodal facility that offers rail, taxi and city bus service.’
- ‘He shows how intermodal traffic (truck trailers and containers on flatcars) and transportation control systems formed the technological bases of the revolution.’
- ‘After all this time, Chicago is still ‘the third busiest city in the world in intermodal traffic’.’
- ‘The old freight cranes still remain in the yard at Hastings, where there was once an intermodal terminal for small containers.’
- ‘The result has been the absence of competition for road transport from the railways and inadequate intermodal sea, rail and air transport connections.’
- ‘‘The former station is 26 years old - well beyond its design life - and is within the ‘footprint’ of the future intermodal station,’ Saunders added.’
- ‘‘There needs to be more investment in intermodal yards’ that link terminals with road and rail, says Crannell.’
- ‘The Milwaukee intermodal station is an important transportation link in the Milwaukee area.’
- ‘Tammee brings with her a tremendous knowledge of the intermodal industry as well as a clear understanding of customer needs and market issues.’
- ‘While on his trip, Mr. Lapierre led a trade mission, made speeches about intermodal transportation and attended dinners.’
- ‘Basically, this page contains photos of the common types of containers used in intermodal transport today.’
- ‘Hub's collaborative relationships with customers and vendors make us the best choice in intermodal shipping.’
- ‘BC Rail has already unloaded money-losing parts of its business like its trucking and intermodal transport and passenger rail service.’
- ‘Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway, or BNSF, already operates an intermodal facility there, where ocean cargo containers and highway trailers can be transported on rail cars.’
- ‘In anticipation, the city of Chicago has hired the local office of TranSystems Corp. to prepare preliminary designs for a three-deck subsurface transfer station providing intermodal links.’
- ‘Our expertise in systems integration and experience at other intermodal facilities helped us define a system tailored to the needs of this terminal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.