Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organism that supports the immature or nonreproductive forms of a parasite.Compare with definitive host
- ‘That the mosquito was the intermediate host of the filarial parasite was a momentous discovery in 1877.’
- ‘Our biggest nightmare is that an intermediate host is out there carrying the virus and passing it onto other animals.’
- ‘Cats are the usual final host of this protozoan; but other mammals - including humans - and birds, can become intermediate hosts.’
- ‘This is because snails are the intermediate host to the parasite, which is released into shallow water, and then infects ducks and people.’
- ‘Their life cycles depend on domesticated cattle and swine as intermediate hosts.’
intermediate host/ˈˌin(t)ərˈˌmēdēət hōst/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.