One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organism that supports the immature or nonreproductive forms of a parasite.Compare with definitive host
- ‘That the mosquito was the intermediate host of the filarial parasite was a momentous discovery in 1877.’
- ‘Our biggest nightmare is that an intermediate host is out there carrying the virus and passing it onto other animals.’
- ‘Their life cycles depend on domesticated cattle and swine as intermediate hosts.’
- ‘This is because snails are the intermediate host to the parasite, which is released into shallow water, and then infects ducks and people.’
- ‘Cats are the usual final host of this protozoan; but other mammals - including humans - and birds, can become intermediate hosts.’
intermediate host/ˈˌin(t)ərˈˌmēdēət hōst/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.