Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An artificial language, devised for machine translation, that makes explicit the distinctions necessary for successful translation into a target language, even where they are not present in the source language.
- ‘Two clearly different understandings of interlinguas were evident at the pre-workshop.’
- ‘Ideas about interlinguas are intimately tied up with ideas about the representation of meaning.’
- ‘IL2, which is in its design stage, is intended to be an interlingua, albeit a relatively simple one.’
- ‘To get a better feel for the way interlinguas work, let's look at two aspects that complicate the transfer phase: word translation and tense.’
- ‘Among the existing interlinguas, special attention will be given to UNL (Universal Networking Language).’
- 1.1 An artificial international language formed of elements common to the Romance languages, designed primarily for scientific and technical use.
- ‘The orthography of Interlingua is based on the 26 letters of the Roman alphabet with no diacritical or accent marks.’
- ‘In this blog, I intend to write about languages, to translate news about languages into Interlingua, and to talk about various other things that seem interesting to me.’
- ‘As we speak, Esperanto is being corrupted by upstart languages such as Interlingua, Klingon, Java & various cryptophasic tongues.’
Early 20th century: from inter- ‘between’ + Latin lingua ‘tongue’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.