Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system in which one library borrows a book from another library for the use of an individual.
- ‘For one assignment, I asked the geology librarian if she could obtain a creationist publication for me by interlibrary loan.’
- ‘It offers a variety of ways to get at the texts, including library call numbers and interlibrary loan where needed, and also citation information in some cases.’
- ‘Peripheral clusters entailed temporary, rather than permanent, access by being obtained from local libraries or through interlibrary loan.’
- ‘I spend a lot of time making interlibrary loans and collecting stuff from archives.’
- ‘I had difficulty acquiring some publications through interlibrary loan or by tracking down publishers from the literature cited.’
- ‘Other libraries should be able to obtain copies via interlibrary loan.’
- ‘These records are not available on interlibrary loan and so it would therefore be necessary to visit the library in person or to write requesting information.’
- ‘All 121 were retrieved through a library search or via interlibrary loan.’
- ‘Libraries have done so with great success in cataloging, interlibrary loan, and content.’
- ‘If these libraries could not supply the titles, interlibrary loan was not offered except through the local public library.’
- ‘Out-of-print items sometimes can be obtained via a library and/or through interlibrary loan.’
- ‘It could also be available at larger public libraries, or ordered on interlibrary loan.’
- ‘Many other critical services such as the daily delivery system, interlibrary loan, and reserve pool will also be cut.’
- ‘It's amazing what you can get through an interlibrary loan.’
- ‘Technology has touched every aspect of library services, including cataloging, reference, interlibrary loan, document delivery, circulation, and training.’
- ‘If you find titles of interest, you may obtain them through your local library on interlibrary loan.’
- ‘What implications does that have for interlibrary loan?’
- ‘The references proved fairly easy to locate through the Internet and interlibrary loans.’
- ‘Using interlibrary loan is a common practice for accessing books and journal articles, but few libraries are willing to circulate sound recordings or rare archival material.’
- ‘Otherwise, local public libraries can obtain copies through interlibrary loan.’
interlibrary loan/ˌin(t)ərˌlībrərē ˈlōn/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.