One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of glycoproteins produced by leukocytes for regulating immune responses.
- ‘By adding synthetic interleukins to your body, your immune system may have more power to fight the cancer cells.’
- ‘They are divided into four major groups: interleukins, interferons, tumor necrosis factors, and transformation growth factors.’
- ‘ROS can stimulate the inflammatory system by causing an increase in cytokines (eg, interleukins, tumor necrosis factor) and cell adhesion.’
- ‘You may have heard of some of them - the interferons and interleukins, for example.’
- ‘These interleukins are triggered by inflammation, tissue damage, or intercurrent infections.’
1970s: from inter- ‘occurring between’ + leukocyte (variant of leukocyte) + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.