Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument in which the interference of two beams of light is employed to make precise measurements.
- ‘They might even beat the earth-based interferometers in detecting the first authentic gravity wave.’
- ‘Optical interferometers (and other refractive index sensors) have features that make them versatile platforms for biomolecular sensing.’
- ‘The flip causes a tiny shift in the cantilever's vibration frequency, which is recorded by the laser interferometer.’
- ‘The downward radiance measured by the infrared interferometer is a combination of thermal emission by atmospheric water vapor and by the cloud ice mass.’
- ‘It should be noted that the lengths of the arms of the interferometer on ground-based gravity wave detectors are on the order of 1 kilometer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.