Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Grow (a crop) among plants of a different kind, usually in the space between rows.‘lettuce is particularly good for intercropping among young Brussels sprouts’
- ‘He controls diseases and pests by intercropping the aloe vera with plants such as dates, amla, melons, millet, castor, mungbean, pigeon pea, vegetables and selected medicinal plants.’
- ‘One of the vineyards has annual vegetables intercropped with grapevines.’
- ‘Rich soils require little or no fertilizer; natural predators and intercropping eliminate the need for pesticides.’
- ‘Organic farmers use practices such as crop rotations, intercropping, strip cropping, establishing wildlife cover and providing habitat for beneficial organisms such as predatory insects, pollinators, birds, and bats.’
- ‘Small bushy legumes were intercropped between the mango trees and cashews to fix nitrogen levels, add biomass and help keep the soil temperature down.’
A crop grown among plants of a different kind.
- ‘The yield from the six-year-old garden was not much and the intercrops were the sole source of income for his family.’
- ‘Agronomic studies aimed at quantifying competition between two species most commonly consider a weed and crop species and, to a considerably lesser extent, two crops grown in an intercrop.’
- ‘Sorghum and pigeon pea, for example, are grown as intercrops in drier parts of India.’
- ‘Legume intercrops generally grow for some time past the corn harvest, and can take land away from the tightly scheduled sequential cropping typical of Asian agriculture.’
- ‘Vertical polythene soil barriers have been similarly used for pearl millet and groundnut intercrops.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.