Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]often as noun intercropping
Grow (a crop) among plants of a different kind, usually in the space between rows.‘lettuce is particularly good for intercropping among young Brussels sprouts’
- ‘Small bushy legumes were intercropped between the mango trees and cashews to fix nitrogen levels, add biomass and help keep the soil temperature down.’
- ‘One of the vineyards has annual vegetables intercropped with grapevines.’
- ‘He controls diseases and pests by intercropping the aloe vera with plants such as dates, amla, melons, millet, castor, mungbean, pigeon pea, vegetables and selected medicinal plants.’
- ‘Rich soils require little or no fertilizer; natural predators and intercropping eliminate the need for pesticides.’
- ‘Organic farmers use practices such as crop rotations, intercropping, strip cropping, establishing wildlife cover and providing habitat for beneficial organisms such as predatory insects, pollinators, birds, and bats.’
A crop grown among plants of a different kind.
- ‘Sorghum and pigeon pea, for example, are grown as intercrops in drier parts of India.’
- ‘Vertical polythene soil barriers have been similarly used for pearl millet and groundnut intercrops.’
- ‘Legume intercrops generally grow for some time past the corn harvest, and can take land away from the tightly scheduled sequential cropping typical of Asian agriculture.’
- ‘Agronomic studies aimed at quantifying competition between two species most commonly consider a weed and crop species and, to a considerably lesser extent, two crops grown in an intercrop.’
- ‘The yield from the six-year-old garden was not much and the intercrops were the sole source of income for his family.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.