One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Situated between the ribs.‘the fifth left intercostal space’
- ‘Referral to a subspecialist also may be considered for patients who have more generalized pain related to irritation of a thoracic or intercostal nerve root.’
- ‘A left posterolateral thoracotomy was performed in the 5th intercostal space.’
- ‘There were 3 smaller satellite lesions occupying the left first, fifth, and eighth intercostal spaces.’
- ‘The diaphragm electrode was inserted at the ventral end of the seventh or eighth intercostal space.’
- ‘There were extremely large and tortuous intercostal arteries.’
A muscle situated between the ribs.
- ‘Three days later, the diaphragm and parasternal intercostals contained numerous inflammatory cells and necrotic muscle fibers.’
- ‘Fold your left leg over your right knee and cross over with your elbows to hit the transverse abdominus, intercostals and obliques.’
- ‘Another name for something similar to Tietze's syndrome is costal chondritis, which is the inflammation of the intercostals between the ribs.’
- ‘Since publication of this study, there has not been an adequate explanation of the role of the internal intercostals and the external intercostals during breathing.’
- ‘The abdominal muscles contract and are resisted by the intercostals and diaphragm.’
- ‘The muscle between the ribs is called an intercostal and it allows the rib cage to open and close like a bellows as we inhale and exhale.’
- ‘When he stood up his respiration was maintained by his intercostals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.