Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Situated between the ribs.‘the fifth left intercostal space’
- ‘There were extremely large and tortuous intercostal arteries.’
- ‘Referral to a subspecialist also may be considered for patients who have more generalized pain related to irritation of a thoracic or intercostal nerve root.’
- ‘A left posterolateral thoracotomy was performed in the 5th intercostal space.’
- ‘There were 3 smaller satellite lesions occupying the left first, fifth, and eighth intercostal spaces.’
- ‘The diaphragm electrode was inserted at the ventral end of the seventh or eighth intercostal space.’
A muscle situated between the ribs.
- ‘Another name for something similar to Tietze's syndrome is costal chondritis, which is the inflammation of the intercostals between the ribs.’
- ‘Fold your left leg over your right knee and cross over with your elbows to hit the transverse abdominus, intercostals and obliques.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.