Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually be interconverted
Cause (two things) to be converted into each other.‘estrogens and androgens are easily interconverted in the laboratory’
- ‘Inorganic sulphur forms are immobilized to organic sulphur, different organosulphur forms are interconverted, and immobilized sulphur is simultaneously mineralized to yield plant-available inorganic sulphur.’
- ‘Furthermore, HCO - 3 and CO 2 are only slowly interconverted through the apparent absence of carbonic anhydrase activity in the general cytosol.’
- ‘These two molecules cannot be easily interconverted because of the high energy required to rotate a double bond.’
- ‘Those compounds are interconverted in mitochondria by D - 3-hydroxybutyrate dehydrogenase which was previously described by Wakeman and Dakin in dog liver.’
- ‘To illustrate this point, consider a system containing two converting enzymes E 1 and E 2 (for instance, a protein kinase and a phosphatase) that interconvert substrates W and W *.’
- ‘Slight heating and cooling are enough to interconvert the gel between its liquid and stable forms.’
- ‘These authors used a model of sucrose synthesis in sugar cane culm, comprising 11 reactions interconverting hexose and hexose phosphate species, sucrose, and sucrose phosphate.’
- ‘Therefore it is predicted that the modeled ErbB1-like dimer configuration exists as a subclass among many others, and/or as a dynamic entity that could be interconverted to other dimeric forms.’
- ‘The liver interconverts them easily when needed.’
- ‘Plato's elements can be interconverted because of the geometric commonalities of their atoms.’
- ‘We note in passing that the timescale of the peptide backbone fluctuations which interconvert open and closed conformations is on the order of ~ 1 ns even for this minimalist elastin model.’
- ‘These isomers are all considered to be interconverted in humans, and may be less hepatotoxic than retinol.’
- ‘The generation of asparate occurs by the standard transamination reactions that interconvert amino acids with a-ketoglutarate to form glutamate and glutamate with oxaloacetate to form aspartate.’
- ‘The first are oxidation/reduction reactions that interconvert arsenate to arsenite.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.