One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Participation in Holy Communion or other services by members of different religious denominations.
- ‘So what are we to make of this apparent act of intercommunion?’
- ‘I like to be honest and to face the differences honestly, but I do not think that the whole question of intercommunion is being sufficiently clearly dealt with at the moment.’
- ‘Regarding intercommunion, the LCA Statement's warning against implying ‘a unity which is not a reality in other realms of faith and order’ comes as a bit of a surprise from non-Missourians!’
- ‘Cardinal Connell antagonised Anglicans on several occasions with his remarks about intercommunion and the Church of Ireland, but relationships are likely to improve with Martin at the helm.’
- ‘Individual unique Christian units, be they persons or churches, keep their independence, but through dynamic intercommunion and mutual influence, spontaneously interact to achieve unity.’
- ‘The next issue will include an examination of the new encyclical, Ecclesia de Eucharistia, issued this past Holy Week, looking with particular interest at what it says about intercommunion between Catholics and other Christians.’
- ‘The press will be everlastingly telephoning you for comments on a vast range of subjects which have nothing to do with intercommunion or sectarianism.’
- ‘In 1956 a consensus about the doctrine on the Lord's Supper with the Dutch Reformed Church was accepted, which made intercommunion possible between the Lutherans and the Reformed.’
- ‘He was soon called on to defend Catholic teaching on a range of other controversial social and religious topics, including divorce, homosexuality, abortion, euthanasia, Sunday trading, and intercommunion.’
- ‘He has also been firm in his ban on illicit intercommunion, to the extent of telling one state premier (a non-Catholic) not to receive Communion, as he had earlier done at official functions in Catholic churches.’
- ‘Since propinquity is a common source of tensions, most particular attention was paid to avoiding intercommunion with other Lutherans who professed a seductive approximation of doctrinal agreement.’
- ‘The difference from ‘close communion’ is that reciprocal intercommunion was with other denominations and not just local congregations and clergy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.