One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electrical device allowing one-way or two-way communication.
- ‘It helps to have more than one communication system like intercoms, telephones and radios, according to Layne.’
- ‘Security is tight, with intercoms at entrances, high, enclosed fencing, and only stipulated adults are allowed to fetch children.’
- ‘Two pedestrian access gates are electronically controlled by intercoms in each apartment.’
- ‘Could it be time to install two-way intercoms in all carriages, so that we can offer a cheery hello to the driver whenever we set foot on a train?’
- ‘I think we should have intercoms between the cars.’
- ‘The Captain was just beginning to grow angry, when she remembered that all of the intercoms in both hangars frequently shorted out, due to the heavy fumes and chemicals present.’
- ‘The two of you communicate over an intercom, with the experimenter standing next to you.’
- ‘All apartments in Rosehaven come with Gold Shield electric heating, security intercoms and higher than average ceilings.’
- ‘Tests were run over telephones and intercoms to determine optimum degrees of loudness for giving instructions and commands.’
- ‘A tall iron fence surrounds their house and electronic gates with an intercom are the only way in.’
- ‘In the observation room, visitors can view the surgery on monitors and communicate with the surgical team through intercoms.’
- ‘A moment later, the intercom chirped and a deeply gruff voice spoke from the speaker.’
- ‘‘Attention shoppers, the mall is now closing, the mall is now closing’ an announcing voice said from the intercoms.’
- ‘All are double-glazed and have security intercoms.’
- ‘After the initial jolt, there was silence over the intercoms.’
- ‘Each apartment has feature windows, security intercoms, fitted kitchens which include oven, hob and extractor fan, washer-dryer and fridge-freezer.’
- ‘The Blue Hawk leader nodded solemnly and passed her the speaker for the intercom.’
- ‘The voice of John's secretary came over the telephone intercom and he retreated behind his desk to take care of it.’
- ‘Simple communicators, baby-minders, intercoms, and toys can often be on the same frequencies.’
- ‘Some systems allow you to use another handset as the intercom instead of the base station.’
Second World War: abbreviation of intercommunication.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.