One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Existing or traveling between cities.
- ‘Our mission is to create a top-quality intercity network for the North over the lifetime of the franchise.’
- ‘The prices of intercity and international conversations, however, will be cut down by 19 per cent and 14 per cent, respectively.’
- ‘But as for intercity travel in the 21st century, we should be looking forward to something like this.’
- ‘Over typical intercity distances in the US, train travel would have to be free of charge to make up for the value of the extra travel time.’
- ‘He admitted: " We have put a significant amount of capital investment concentrated on London, the south east and intercity routes.’
- ‘Last week, bus fares in Jakarta rose by 25 to 40 percent and intercity transport costs will increase between 14 and 24 percent over the next six months.’
- ‘Outside the Paris area, transport authorities said that 40% of regional services were running as well as 60% of high-speed intercity lines.’
- ‘The third measure involves developing other modes of intercity travel, including high-speed rail where metropolitan areas are relatively close together.’
- ‘Nobody denies the need to upgrade the existing system, but why are we having five intercity motorways?’
- ‘‘We are studying all possibilities, including the demand to increase bus fares, particularly for intercity buses,’ Nuriana said.’
- ‘The replacement of public transport modes by the car would thus allow rising levels of travel for a given time outlay, as would the replacement of much intercity motoring by air travel.’
- ‘A report from the commission warns that existing intercity routes will run out of capacity by 2015, forcing rail companies to price passengers off trains and onto already overcrowded roads.’
- ‘There are 36 different rates of pay but Aslef wants that cut to four, covering the regions, intercity routes, freight and London and the South-East.’
- ‘For all this, it provides only 1 percent of all intercity passenger-miles traveled on commercial carriers.’
- ‘Conceptually, intercity travel breaks down into five phases.’
- ‘In stories which give travellers nightmares, intercity trips usually take much longer than the official estimate.’
- ‘Mr Brennan also promised a greatly enhanced service along the 35 km stretch from Mallow to Cork city on the main Dublin-Cork intercity line.’
- ‘New South Wales permits three bus categories (transit, intercity, and other), while Victoria allows two (bus/coach or mini-bus).’
- ‘City and intercity public transportation was halted following a strike by drivers on Thursday.’
- ‘Attempts to coordinate the region's cultural offerings have met with little success, for traditional intercity rivalries remain deeply entrenched.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.