One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who intervenes on behalf of another, especially by prayer.‘they rejected the notion that an intercessor was needed to appeal to God’
mediator, moderator, go-between, negotiator, middleman, intermediary, intervenor, interceder, arbitrator, arbiterView synonyms
- ‘He may be calling us to be intercessors, evangelists, advocates for the poor, healers of the sick, prophets to the world.’
- ‘‘Let us hope,’ wrote the chronicler about this man, ‘that he is not only our temporal benefactor but that he is also our intercessor in heaven.’’
- ‘Such people may even claim that these others are no more than intercessors mediating their relationship with God.’
- ‘St Lucians come from a society that values the roles of intercessors.’
- ‘In the past, especially the distant past, the saints were venerated as prodigies, miracle-workers, intercessors, protectors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.