One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or company that underwrites an insurance risk; the party in an insurance contract undertaking to pay compensation.
- ‘The court will not be directly concerned with how, or on what, the insurer spends the premium income.’
- ‘I bought contents insurance from my existing insurer, but did so online for extra discounts.’
- ‘Approach an insurer direct or try a broker, who will scour the market for you.’
- ‘The company no longer exists but Linda hopes to apply for compensation from its insurers.’
- ‘Thus I feel caught between the Government and insurers with uninsurable losses.’
- ‘It is still worth shopping around among insurers other than the four main players.’
- ‘One involves the immediate conversion of the insurer's payment obligation into cash.’
- ‘Effectively, the insurer and reinsured have agreed that such information is immaterial.’
- ‘If the arbitrators confirmed the view of the insurers, then the benefits would not be payable.’
- ‘We are talking to a life insurance company and a couple of non-life insurers for this.’
- ‘All claims should be reported to the insurer within thirty days of such claim arising.’
- ‘You should speak to your insurer or broker before taking on these more costly projects to assess their benefit to you.’
- ‘Consumers may think going directly to an insurer will save money in terms of commission fees.’
- ‘Against this background fears of the impact of a mass sell-off by insurers cannot be discounted.’
- ‘It cannot have been contemplated that the insurer could benefit from its own breach.’
- ‘Yes, and therefore a judgment may be entered in favour of the insurer as a party to the proceedings.’
- ‘Even switching the amount of the shortfall predicted by your insurer to a repayment mortgage will help.’
- ‘Yet there is no prohibition against insurances where the insurer does have an interest in the life of the insured.’
- ‘Patients referred to hospital specialists not contracted to their insurer will have to pay extra.’
- ‘You can still claim on your travel insurance, but then the insurer will recoup the cost from the airline.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.