Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Careful examination or scrutiny.‘on closer inspection it looked like a fossil’‘please have your tickets ready for inspection’[count noun] ‘we carry out regular safety inspections’
examination, check, check-up, survey, scrutiny, look-over, probe, exploration, perusal, view, scan, observation, investigation, assessment, appraisal, review, evaluationexamining, checking, surveying, vetting, investigating, assessing, appraising, considerationonce-over, going-over, look-see, overhaulView synonyms
- ‘Usually, a purchaser should rely upon his own inspection and his surveyor's report.’
- ‘That explains why Reed started his own company specializing in pipeline inspections.’
- ‘They in turn must take inspections and see if the encroachments have been permanently removed.’
- ‘We also encountered a degree of hostility while carrying out our inspections.’
- ‘Such inspections are conducted only on the basis of complaints and to verify discrepancies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.