Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Careful examination or scrutiny.‘on closer inspection it looked like a fossil’‘please have your tickets ready for inspection’‘we carry out regular safety inspections’
examination, check, check-up, survey, scrutiny, look-over, probe, exploration, perusal, view, scan, observation, investigation, assessment, appraisal, review, evaluationView synonyms
- ‘They in turn must take inspections and see if the encroachments have been permanently removed.’
- ‘We also encountered a degree of hostility while carrying out our inspections.’
- ‘That explains why Reed started his own company specializing in pipeline inspections.’
- ‘Such inspections are conducted only on the basis of complaints and to verify discrepancies.’
- ‘Usually, a purchaser should rely upon his own inspection and his surveyor's report.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.