One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rude and disrespectful behavior.‘she was sacked for insolence’
impertinence, impudence, cheek, cheekiness, bad manners, ill-manneredness, unmannerliness, rudeness, impoliteness, incivility, lack of civility, discourtesy, discourteousness, disrespect, insubordination, contemptView synonyms
- ‘They helped us understand what we were up against: the proud man's contumely, the insolence of office.’
- ‘Perhaps it was a case of German insolence, a deliberate offense to Roman dignity.’
- ‘For sheer insolence and contempt for the electorate, her statement is hard to beat.’
- ‘Where do they get the authority and encouragement to practise their childish, schoolyard insolence and contempt of our leaders?’
- ‘They no longer protect competitive wages and fair working environments - they inflate wages and protect the insolence and stupidity of their members.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.