Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of Buddhist mediation that employs concentration sharply focused on bodily sensations and mental events, practiced with the intention of gaining insight into reality.
- ‘In vipassana, or insight meditation, the practitioner consciously explores the body and mind.’
- ‘Also known as insight meditation, Vipassana is one of India's most ancient meditation techniques.’
- ‘Vipassana, or insight meditation, is the practice of continued close attention to sensation, through which one ultimately sees the true nature of existence.’
- ‘It is impossible to practise insight meditation without having reached at least the level of calm of the first jhana.’
- ‘Nyanaponika Thera has written a similarly lucid book on insight meditation, The Heart of Buddhist Meditation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.