Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of Buddhist mediation that employs concentration sharply focused on bodily sensations and mental events, practiced with the intention of gaining insight into reality.
- ‘It is impossible to practise insight meditation without having reached at least the level of calm of the first jhana.’
- ‘In vipassana, or insight meditation, the practitioner consciously explores the body and mind.’
- ‘Vipassana, or insight meditation, is the practice of continued close attention to sensation, through which one ultimately sees the true nature of existence.’
- ‘Nyanaponika Thera has written a similarly lucid book on insight meditation, The Heart of Buddhist Meditation.’
- ‘Also known as insight meditation, Vipassana is one of India's most ancient meditation techniques.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.