Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The inner, shorter track of a racecourse.
- ‘Ward held the inside track and outmaneuvered his opponent to win.’
- 1.1A position of advantage.‘he always had the inside track for the starring role’
- ‘Booker or Jenkins - the team will sign only one - will have the inside track.’
- ‘If the team doesn't sign a top free agent, Fiedler will have the inside track on the starting job.’
- ‘Just as at the meetings in Edinburgh, those in Brussels want the opportunity of the inside track.’
- ‘But no one had the inside track for the position.’
- ‘His backup, Donaldo Mendez, appears to be playing himself onto the inside track, ahead of Santiago Perez.’
- ‘He has the inside track on handling punts, though the team would prefer not to use a starter there.’
- ‘Fisher had a solid rookie year and has an inside track to a starting spot.’
- ‘The always-interesting Nick Denton has the inside track on what's doing at Sputnik.’
- ‘RHP Dave Coggin has the inside track.’
- ‘The seven companies will be given an opportunity to reach the inside track for the lucrative American market, meeting buyers, importers and distributors of speciality foods and drinks.’
- ‘Monsanto Pope has the inside track for the other starting spot.’
- ‘Rookie sixth-round pick Kevin Thomas has the inside track on the fourth spot.’
- ‘He could play on the strong side, but incumbent Jeff Posey has the inside track at starting because he has better range in pass coverage.’
- ‘Bonilla, who can play third base, first and the outfield and Hubbard, also an outfielder, have the inside tracks to jobs.’
- ‘The plan is to let five players compete for two open starting jobs in training camp, but Claridge should have the inside track for one position.’
- ‘Daubach might have an inside track because of his power from the left side.’
- ‘It has the inside track despite Edison's weak financial prospects and continuing reports of poor academic performance in its schools.’
- ‘This schedule and the way the Tigers have played it clearly gives them an inside track at a No.1 seed.’
- ‘The Ravens, Broncos and Jaguars are trying to win the second wild-card berth behind the Jets, who have the inside track, despite losing at Pittsburgh on Sunday.’
- ‘Danny Bautista, a career part-timer, has the inside track at the position.’
inside track/ˈinˌsīd ˌtrak/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.