One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A joke that is shared exclusively by a small group of people.‘the album title, like many of their songs, is based on an inside joke’
- ‘The book's more interesting elements - the fleeting fragments of historical information and the odd archival photo - give way all too frequently to inside jokes and surprisingly pedestrian observations.’
- ‘He insisted on turning his films into black comedies, full of inside jokes and slippery double entendres, while his contemporaries did what the studio told them to do.’
- ‘This is a film parents will enjoy watching with their children, because there are just enough inside jokes and adult humor to keep the story interesting.’
- ‘Culturally adept viewers will also enjoy the celebrity cameos and inside jokes, none of which I will spoil here.’
- ‘You don't know these characters, you don't get their inside jokes, you have no frame of reference for their anecdotes.’
- ‘My father winks at him, sharing an inside joke.’
- ‘When an ad makes a 'tween feel like there's an inside joke between them and the advertiser, it's a home run.’
- ‘Also, for those who like weird little inside jokes, take note that most of the incidental police characters are named after members of the production team.’
- ‘While the anecdotes and inside jokes are enjoyable enough, the banter does wear a bit thin and listeners are left wishing for more substantive comments.’
- ‘It's an inside joke between them, and they laugh with the intimacy of kinship and the relief of distance from the subject at hand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.