Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Incapable of feeling or understanding things; inanimate.‘it's arrogant to presume animals to be insentient’
inanimate, lifeless, inorganic, inertinsensate, lacking physical sensationunconscious, comatose, anaesthetized, desensitized, numbstupefied, knocked out, passed out, blacked outdead to the world, out, out cold, out for the count, out of itspark outView synonyms
- ‘It is not possible to reciprocate a purely passive or mechanical or insentient conglomeration of objects.’
- ‘Everyone else was either insentient or had run away.’
- ‘Anything else in the room remained stationary and insentient.’
- ‘And not only are the men fond of it, even such insentient creatures as plants and trees have become infected and take delight in it.’
- ‘While Shiva is Knowledge-Existence-Bliss Absolute, the Shakti is the manifestation of the Principle at immanent plane as the reality of the whole universe, both sentient and insentient.’
- ‘Most of us assume we have moved beyond treating animals as insentient things.’
- ‘Casually and almost unwillingly she knelt down beside Nitrus and Psyd, holding her hands above the insentient body.’
- ‘Here, Feinberg denies that an insentient potential person has interests at all.’
- ‘Thus, out of three qualities of Sat, Chit, and Ananda, Jiva or ordinary soul fails to manifest Ananda and both Ananda and Consciousness are hidden in jada or insentient beings.’
- ‘It is worth ending this small number of unethical killings in order to secure the right of women to rid their bodies of unnecessary and insentient clumps of flesh.’
- ‘It is an umbrella term, applicable equally to concrete and abstract, immediate or remembered, sensory or conceptual, subjective or objective, sentient or insentient, organic or inorganic, and so on.’
- ‘Over the three months, they learned not only the names, but also the faces and the characteristics of their sentient and insentient neighbors.’
- ‘Here, the profound inertia of self-duplicating and arbitrary sovereignty is revealed as absurd, unconnected repetition, the phonemes detonating like the ‘thumping’ of the insentient machine imagined by Rachel.’
- ‘It states that the individual soul and insentient matter are distinct from Brahman, but Brahman is the basis of their existence and reality.’
- ‘Cunningham paused, and turned to appraise Katalin, who was still lying insentient before the fire.’
- ‘Kristin becomes insentient rather than sap her lover's creativity, thus upholding the conventions of the period.’
- ‘The animation of insentient or nonhuman entities produces an effect of cacophony and distraction.’
- ‘Every being - sentient or insentient - has a role to play in this manifest universality of the Spirit.’
- ‘The conclusion that we live in an unplanned, insentient universe became ineluctable.’
- ‘The line should be drawn between sentient beings and insentient things.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.