One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The seam in a pair of pants from the crotch to the bottom of the leg, or the length of this.
- ‘Seven's 12-page workbook asks for 11 body measurements, covering everything from inseam to shoulder width.’
- ‘Sew the front and back inseams together for each leg.’
- ‘Also, any hints on where I can find lengthier inseams might help, if you're feeling especially generous.’
- ‘For example, if you want to order a pair of slacks and the catalogue doesn't list the inseam, call and ask.’
- ‘Sleeve lengths, sleeve circumferences (especially at the biceps), inseams and side seams on pants, shoulder width, crotch depth and the waist are all measurements that can be compared to the pattern before cutting them out.’
- ‘Slightly taper the pant leg on the inseam from the knee down and on the outer seam from the hip down.’
- ‘In pants, the extra width is usually added at the front inseam.’
- ‘Cut through the inseam so it looks like a mini-skirt.’
- ‘Beginning at the hem, cut the jeans or corduroys open along the inseam or the side seam.’
- ‘Of course, an online tailor can't reach out and measure your inseam.’
- ‘Measure the pants crotch length from the inseam to the waistline and record on the pattern.’
- ‘Again, it isn't necessary to adjust the pattern - just take in the inseams (and outseams if necessary) as you sew to achieve a smooth, wrinkle-free fit.’
- ‘I'm 6-foot 6, with a 36-inch inseam, and weigh 240 lb.’
- ‘The ladies' cut has a 3-inch inseam, a drawstring and elastic waistband and for style it has a noticeable V-notch leg for ease of movement for cheering.’
- ‘To measure the length of your inseam, lay a pair of trousers that fit you well flat on the table as aforementioned, and measure them from the top of the inner pant leg seam to the opening at the bottom of the leg.’
- ‘That might not even be a 4 inch inseam, compared to 8 inches or more today in 2002.’
- ‘The short features a flip-down branded waistband and a 3.5-inch inseam.’
- ‘I'm 74 inches in my stocking feet, and have a 35 inch inseam.’
- ‘You can also choose your inseam.’
- ‘The most important measurements you should know beforehand are: shoe size; waist and inseam measurements for pants; neck and sleeve sizes for shirts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.